Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Counting My Blessings...

One of my childhood friends lost his mother last week, she was 75. We grew up together... a group of us kids always hung out and I remember when the sun set everyone's parents had their own whistle to call us home LOL He lived up the street and I lived at the bottom.

Anyhoo, when we hugged, I cried... not because I was sad, but because I knew exactly how it feels to lose a parent. I was thinking how bad it hurt... the thought that you will never hear their voice, feel thier touch, never see them again... and it hurts, and I hurt for my friend.

The memorial service was at St. Francis of Assissi in our hometown. It was a beautiful service. I did not follow the procession to her final resting place as my personal feelings are that is a very private thing.

I prayed for my friend and his family and his Mom. I spent the rest of the day counting my blessings. I think my friend is lucky... he had his Mom in his life for 36 years. That's 12 years more than I got to have my Dad... I wish I had been that lucky.

You never know what life will bring. So today I said my prayers and was thankful for the gifts in my life... My family, My friends... and the Love of my Child who is the greatest gift!

No comments: