- Eat small meals or snacks every 2-3 hours
- Avoid hunger, eat before getting out of bed in the morning
- Dont skip meals
- Select low fat protein foods: Lean meats, broiled or canned fish, poultry without skin, eggs, boiled beans
- Select easily digested carbohydrates: Fruit, fruit juices, pasta, rice, potatoes, toast, crackers, dry cereals
- Drink fluids between meals rather than with meals
- Avoid fried foods or any other foods that cause stomach discomfort such as gassy or spicy foods
- Cold foods can sometimes decrease the aroma or smells that can trigger nausea
- Drink a small amount of 100% fruit juice (apple, grape, cranberry) every 1-2 hours
- Avoid drinking beverages that contain caffeine or alcohol
- Have a snack before going to bed
- Try certain salty, high fat foods such as: potatoe chips and cheese curls
- Also try cold, tart drinks such as : Lemonade
In some cases IV nutrition may be necessary to meet the nutrition needs of the mother and fetus.
I am posting this because maybe it will be helpful to some of you suffering from HG.
When I was really sick... nothing would help me and I eventually did require IV nutrition, but when I was beginning to hold some food down I literally lived on ice cream and baked potatoes for months!!
The cold of the ice cream seemed to calm my tummy and the potaoes were all I could (sometimes) keep down. Although I wouldnt recommend Ice Cream or Milkshakes when you are at your worst because nothing is worse that throwing up curdled milkshake, milk or ice cream... and good luck getting that smell out of your nose!!! which just adds to your nausea!
I also for a while ate salty ruffles potatoe chip which were more "comforting" than anything... just knowing I could keep a little handful down some days made me feel better.
Hang in there ladies... you will eventually feel good enough to eat and enjoy your pregnancies!
I remember the first time I went to a resturant I had been keeping food down for about a week, and my car sickness was subsiding, so I gave it a shot! (But...I took my bucket with me just in case) I had breakfast, an omlet and potatoes... and I can tell you it was the MOST WONDERFUL breakfast ever! LOL
I enjoyed every bite without "incident" LOL